MPI staff work in a range of environments – from airports and beaches to laboratories, abattoirs, and fishing vessels. Learn more about the work of our 2,200 staff in New Zealand and throughout the world, and how science is a critical part of what we do.
Growing and protecting New Zealand
MPI and its 4 branded business units help grow and protect New Zealand by:
- providing policy advice and programmes that support the sustainable development of New Zealand's primary industries
- being the Government's principal advisers on, and maintain effective management of, New Zealand's fisheries and aquaculture
- leading New Zealand's biosecurity system
- managing forestry assets for the Crown and leading the 1billion trees programme
- working with people and businesses to support everyone involved in the chain of food production to meet food safety standards
- playing a key role in enabling international market access for New Zealand's primary products
- representing the interests of the New Zealand primary sector in international trade policy and standard-setting forums.
Science is critical to MPI
Our Science Strategy gives guidance on how we use science to support our work. MPI's strategic vision is to 'grow and protect New Zealand' through:
- maximising export opportunities
- meeting our international trading obligations
- improving sector productivity
- increasing sustainable resource use
- protecting New Zealand from biological risk.
High quality science and science evidence are critical to helping us achieve these. As a major funder, user and generator of science it's important we have a robust and efficient science system. We've developed the Science Strategy to describe our science role, and how we'll use science throughout MPI.
The strategy will provide MPI with strategic direction for:
- planning and prioritising our science needs
- help guide our future investment in science
- help us to monitor how these benefit New Zealand.
It also gives our partners and providers a clear understanding of our science system to support working in partnership.
Download MPI Science Strategy at a glance [PDF, 666 KB]
Download the full Science Strategy [PDF, 3.4 MB]
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback