Risk management programmes for bee products
Risk management programmes help you manage hazards, and ensure your products are fit for sale and are truthfully labelled.
When you need an RMP
You must operate under a registered RMP if you export to countries that require official assurances and you are:
- a secondary processor – someone who extracts, processes, packs, or stores bee products
- an operator who stores bee products for export.
Two RMPs apply to bee product businesses:
- bee products RMP, which is used by secondary processors
- stores (cold and dry) RMP, used by operators who only store bee products for export.
You don’t need an RMP if you're:
Creating your RMP
There are 2 ways to create your RMP:
- base your RMP on an MPI-approved code of practice (COP), template, or model
- write your own RMP by following the RMP manual.
The first option is the simpler and cheaper way to create your RMP, if one is available for your operation. For example, secondary honey processors can use the bee products COP, which guides you through what’s required to develop, register, and implement your RMP.
Existing food safety programmes can be converted to RMPs
If you're already operating under an approved food safety programme you can also use it as the basis for an RMP.
Evaluation, if needed
If your RMP is not fully based on an approved COP, template, or model, you need to employ an independent evaluator who has been recognised by MPI to evaluate your RMP.
Get your RMP verified
All bee products RMPs must be verified at least once a year. This must be done by a a recognised agency – MPI Verification Services or AsureQuality. The verifier will confirm in writing that they are willing to verify your RMP each year, and you need to include this confirmation with your application to register your RMP with MPI.
- Read more about what verification means for you
- Contact MPI Verification Services
- Read about apiculture verification and certification services on the AsureQuality website
Register your RMP
Once you have gone through the steps to develop your RMP (and, where necessary, had it evaluated) you need to register it with MPI. Your RMP must be registered with MPI before you can start operating.
Download and complete the RMP registration form [PDF, 256 KB]
Storing honey for export
If you're a beekeeper who intends storing honey before it is exported under an official assurance, you must:
- operate under a registered RMP
- have the honey extracted by a contractor who operates under a registered RMP
- comply with the Tutin Standard
- understand general requirements for export and overseas market access requirements
- pay relevant fees and charges.
Your RMP must also comply with the requirements for dry stores. Use the COP for cold and dry stores to help you prepare your RMP.