Fees & charges – general
You will need to pay fees and charges for services provided by MPI and other providers when exporting. This page gives an overview of export fees and charges – for more detailed information check the exporting steps for your product.
User-pays approach to fees and charges
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) recovers the costs for services we supply to exporters. Activities and services we charge for include:
- registering as an exporter
- processing applications for approved or recognised persons or premises
- negotiating overseas market access on your behalf
- registering, changing, or verifying risk-based management plans, like risk management programmes or Wine Standards Management Plans
- providing official assurance or export certificates
- using MPI's electronic certification systems.
MPI may also charge you for its actual and reasonable costs in providing these services. This includes costs like courier charges, stationery and accommodation.
You may also have to pay for other services not outlined here – such as storage and transportation costs.
Levies for exporters
MPI charges some levies to businesses producing or processing products and animals for export. These levies help cover the cost of:
- developing standards for export products
- developing and maintaining access to overseas markets.
To find out more, refer to:
- the purpose of animal product levies
- how levies are calculated under the Animal Products Act 1999
- Wine Regulations 2006 - NZ Legislation website
How much will it cost?
You'll find MPI's fees and charges for exporters on the fees and charges page for each product, commodity, or animal, or on application forms and other relevant documents. Costs will vary depending on what you're exporting, and the destination country.
How to pay
You may need to pay MPI in advance for some services, like registering as an exporter. In other cases, like for exporter levies, MPI will send you an invoice.
You can pay by direct credit, credit card, or cheque. You'll find further details on the relevant forms.
If you regularly export goods, it's easiest to set up a credit account with MPI.
Download the credit application form [PDF, 87 KB]
Find out more
MPI's fees, charges, and levies for exporters are set out in legislation. Visit the NZ Legislation website to read the:
- Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines (Fees, Charges, and Levies) Regulations 2015
- Animal Products (Fees, Charges, and Levies) Regulations 2007
- Animal Products (Dairy Industry Fees, Charges and Levies) Regulations 2015
- Food (Fees and Charges) Regulations 2015 (come into effect 1 March 2016)
- Wine Regulations 2006
Who to contact
If you have questions about MPI's fees and charges for exporters, email firstname.lastname@example.org.