Export Laboratory Programme
All laboratories that test live animals, and semen and embryos (germplasm) for export must operate under the Export Laboratory Programme or the Recognised Laboratory Programme that came into effect on 31 August 2015.
Changes to the programme
Laboratories have 2 years to move to the new Recognised Laboratory Programme that came into effect on 31 August 2015. On 31 August 2017 the Export Laboratory Programme Notice will be revoked. By that date all laboratories that test live animal, and semen and embryos (germplasm) for export must be operating under the Recognised Laboratory Programme.
New laboratories that want to do export testing for live animals and germplasm need to apply for recognition under the Animal Products Notice: Specifications for Laboratories.
More information is in the guidance document.
Recognised Laboratory Guidance Document [PDF, 248 KB]
Becoming a recognised laboratory
Laboratories entering the programme must complete and application form, and be:
- accredited to ISO 17025 by International Accreditation New Zealand (IANZ).
Download application form for approval [PDF, 353 KB]
Since MPI started the programme in 2010, a few issues and questions have been raised and clarified. MPI records these clarifications in the issues register.
(Note: This is a living document and will be updated as issues are raised and clarified. Check regularly for changes because the document may be updated without formal notification).
Export Laboratory Programme Issues Register [PDF, 68 KB]
Requirements and Notices
- Requirements for laboratories conducting the testing of live animals and germplasm for export [PDF, 356 KB] (to be replaced by the Recognised Laboratory Guidance document for all new applications after 31 August 2015)
- Test list 1: Tests a lab may do under the ELP programme [PDF, 45 KB] (to be replaced by the Consolidated List of Tests for all new applications after 31 August 2015)
- Animal Products (Recognised Laboratories and Persons Specifications for Conducting Testing of Live Animals and Germplasm for Export) Notice 2015 [PDF, 427 KB]
- Animal Products Notice Specifications for Laboratories [PDF, 201 KB]
- Consolidated List of Tests for Animal Products [PDF, 380 KB]
- Results of consultation on the proposed Laboratory Specifications Guidance document
- Complaints and appeals procedure [PDF, 24 KB]
- MPI Conflict of Interest Policy [PDF, 90 KB]
- Fees and charges
Who to contact
If you have questions about the programme, email firstname.lastname@example.org