Investment Advisory Panel
The independent Investment Advisory Panel (IAP) helps ensure PGP investments achieve the aims of economic growth and sustainability.
The IAP provides expert advice on the allocation of PGP co-investments and on the progress of each PGP programme. Decisions on PGP investment are made by the Director-General of MPI.
Download the IAP Terms of Reference [PDF, 2 MB]
Current members of the IAP
Steve Smith joined the Investment Advisory Panel on 1 November 2015. Kevin Marshall’s tenure on the IAP ended on 30 October 2015. Kevin had served on the Panel for 6 years.
John Parker, Chair
John Parker is a primary industry and governance specialist. He has extensive experience in both governance and in the primary industries and he understands what is required to grow value in the sector. He has a good understanding of how the PGP can support innovation.
John has held many Board appointments including:
- Port of Tauranga (Chair)
- Farmlands Trading Society
- Australasian Food Holdings
- Northport Ltd (Chair)
- NZ Farming Systems Uruguay (Chair)
- NZ Game Industry Board
- Richmond Meats Ltd
- Alpine Dair Coop
- Primary Industry Training Organisation (Chair)
John is currently Chair of Genoese Foods and on the Boards of Dairy Holdings Ltd and BEL Group Ltd.
Barry Brook brings a wealth of agribusiness experience having held a number of governance and leadership roles. His background includes:
- Chairman of Carrfields Group
- Chairman of Creative Headquarters Ltd
- Chairman of Bonavaree Farm Ltd
- Trustee of AGMARDT
- Trustee of Lincoln University Foundation
- Chairman of AGMARDT (2014 – 2016)
- Director of Grow Wellington (2011 – 2014)
- Chairman of Synlait Farms (2013 – 2014)
- CEO of PGG Wrightson (2005 – 2008)
- CEO of Wrightson Limited (2004 – 2005)
Barry also had wide ranging experience in South America during his time with Wrightson and PGG Wrightson.
Sir Maarten Wevers
Sir Maarten Wevers was a former private secretary to the then Prime Minister, David Lange. Sir Maarten's background includes:
- High Commissioner to Papua New Guinea
- Ambassador to Japan
- official at the New Zealand Embassy in Brussels, focusing on trade and economic policy to support the export ambitions of New Zealand firms.
- chair of the APEC Senior Officials' Meeting
- General Manager of Government Business at New Zealand Post
- Chief Executive of the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet (2004 – 2012)
- appointed Knight Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit in 2012
- co-chair of the fourth Japan New Zealand Partnership Forum in September 2013.
Harry Burkhardt is a senior executive and shareholder of 2 manufacturing and packaging companies that supply overseas markets. Harry is:
- chairman of Ngāti Kuri Trust Board
- chairman of the New Zealand Māori Arts and Crafts Institute
- on the executive of the Packaging Council of New Zealand.
He was previously chairman of the Finance Committee for the Auckland District Health Board.
Melissa Clark-Reynolds is a well-known entrepreneur and digital strategist with significant experience in information technology. Melissa has started and managed several innovative companies, and has helped a number of existing companies to improve their performance.
She is involved with several boards, including:
- Radio NZ
Melissa is the Chair of the LINZ Risk and Audit Committee, and a panellist on the Energy Efficiency & Conservation Authority (EECA) Low Emissions Vehicle Fund. She has previously been a director of ACCURO and Creative HQ and been part of the New Zealand Government Green Growth Advisory Group.
Steve Smith is a wine industry professional with a broad interest in land-based enterprises. Steve is a co-founder of Craggy Range Vineyards, and was its chief executive for 10 years. Steve is experienced in developing and marketing high value, origin-based products and in building an internationally-focused primary sector company.
He is a member of several boards, including:
- Advisory Board for the NZ Story
- Independent Panel of Experts for the Tourism Growth Partnership
- Shoal Beach Ltd
- K9 Natural Ltd.
Steve is involved in the Te Hono Bootcamp Movement and remains involved with Craggy Range in a governance and advisory role.
|Past Investment Advisory Panel members|
|Joanna Perry – Chair from 1 August 2013||1 August 2009 to 30 April 2016|
|Kevin Marshall||1 August 2009 to 31 October 2015|
|Colin McKenzie||1 August 2009 to 31 December 2014|
|Bill Falconer (Chair)||1 August 2009 to 31 July 2013|
|John Brakenridge||1 August 2009 to 10 February 2011|
|Jamie Tuuta||1 August 2009 to 1 April 2014|
|Sharon Hunter||15 August 2011 to 31 December 2014|
Conflicts of interest
Members of the IAP are required to declare all professional interests when first appointed.
Members also declare any conflicts of interest at IAP meetings where the IAP will decide whether or not to allow the member to participate in the discussion.
All interests are recorded on the Interest Register, which is updated regularly.
Download the Interests Register [PDF, 195 KB]
The IAP's terms of reference require it to provide an annual report on its work. Download reports for the year:
- PGP Annual Report 2015/16 [PDF, 2.9 MB]
- PGP Annual Report 2014/15 [PDF, 12 MB]
- PGP Investment Advisory Panel Annual Report 2013/14 [PDF, 517 KB]
- PGP Investment Advisory Panel Annual Report 2012/13 [PDF, 123 KB]
- PGP Investment Advisory Panel Annual Report 2011/12 [PDF, 67 KB]
- PGP Investment Advisory Panel Annual Report 2010/11 [PDF, 1.5 MB]
- PGP Investment Advisory Panel Annual Report 2009/10 [PDF, 42 KB]