Registering post-1989 forest land

Forest owners and those with registered forestry rights or leases over post-1989 forests can earn carbon credits by joining the Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS). We've created a step-by-step process to help you register forest land in the scheme.

Changes to application processing

MPI is experiencing high work volumes in the lead up to the end of the current mandatory emission return (MER) period (31 December 2017). To accommodate this, we have updated our application assessment process for registration and adding land.

What has changed

Application submission deadline – 16 October 2017

To increase the likelihood of your application being processed by the 31 December 2017, submit it before 16 October 2017. As we process applications in the order we receive them, applications sent after this date are less likely to be processed before the end of 2017.

Shortened assessment process until 2018

MPI will no longer issue a preliminary GIS assessment for applications received after 1 October 2017. Instead we will:

  • decide on the eligibility of land to be registered into the ETS
  • issue a final assessment.

If you disagree with the outcome of the assessment, you can request a formal review of the decision. Formal reviews won't commence until 2018. We'll reinstate preliminary assessments in 2018.

Complete applications required

You'll need to provide all information to support your application when you submit it. During the temporary removal of preliminary GIS assessments, we won't ask for additional information during assessment.

Before you start

If you're not already set up, you should consider registering to use our ETS online transaction system. This will enable you to submit some information online.

To register, you'll need to:

  • have a RealMe account (RealMe is the government's online identification service)
  • set up a login and password.

If you don't have a RealMe account, you'll be given the chance to set one up when you go to log in.

ETS online system user guide  [PDF, 955 KB]

Your obligations under the ETS

If your registration is successful, you will have to:

  • submit a mandatory emissions return at the end of every mandatory emissions return period
  • measure your forest in accordance with the Field Measurement Approach if you have 100 hectares or more of registered forest land
  • report any changes to your ETS registration
  • pay back units if:
    • your carbon stock decreases
    • you deforest
    • you remove forest land from the ETS
  • notify MPI when the ownership of registered forest land changes, for example you sell your forest to another party. This includes when land is sold, a forestry right/lease is granted/expires, or when more than 40% of members of an unincorporated body (such as a trust) change.

Find out more

Who to contact

If you have any questions about registering your forest:

Last reviewed: | Has this been useful? Give us your feedback