Registering post-1989 forest land

Forest owners and those with registered forestry rights or leases over post-1989 forests can earn carbon credits by joining the Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS). We've created a step-by-step process to help you register forest land in the scheme.

What forest can be registered?

Only land classed as "post-1989" forest land can be registered in the ETS.

This is current forest land that either:

  • was not forest land on 31 December 1989, or
  • was forest land on 31 December 1989 but was deforested between 1 January 1990 and 31 December 2007, or
  • was pre-1990 forest land that was deforested on or after 1 January 2008, and any ETS liability has been paid.

Who can register land?

Landowners and those who hold registered forestry rights or registered leases over post-1989 forest land can register as participants in the ETS. 

Before you start

If you're not already set up, you should consider registering to use our ETS online transaction system. This will enable you to submit some information online.

To register, you'll need to:

  • have a RealMe account (RealMe is the government's online identification service)
  • set up a login and password.

If you don't have a RealMe account, you'll be given the chance to set one up when you go to log in.

ETS online system user guide  [PDF, 955 KB]

Your obligations under the ETS

If your registration is successful, you will have to:

  • submit a mandatory emissions return at the end of every mandatory emissions return period
  • measure your forest in accordance with the Field Measurement Approach if you have 100 hectares or more of registered forest land
  • report any changes to your ETS registration
  • pay back units if:
    • your carbon stock decreases
    • you deforest
    • you remove forest land from the ETS
  • notify MPI when the ownership of registered forest land changes, for example you sell your forest to another party. This includes when land is sold, a forestry right/lease is granted/expires, or when more than 40% of members of an unincorporated body (such as a trust) change.

Find out more

Who to contact

If you have any questions about registering your forest:

Last reviewed: | Has this been useful? Give us your feedback
Document cart