Wine & beverages
All food and food-related products for human consumption that are imported for sale must meet New Zealand standards and requirements. MPI helps to make sure imported wine and beverages are correctly labelled, safe to drink, and free from pests and harmful organisms.
Importing wine and beverages
Your step-by-step guide to importing wine and beverages.
Import health standards
Search for the import health standard (IHS) for your product.
'Food' includes ingredients and anything to be mixed or added to food. No food can be sold if it's unsafe, unfit for human consumption, or contaminated. Food importers have legal obligations under the:
- Biosecurity Act 1993
- Animal Products Act 1999
- Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines Act 1997
- Food Act 2014 and related legislation
- Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code.
Importers must also meet other New Zealand food standards, including the Food (Importer General Requirements) Standard.
Who to contact
If you have questions about:
- biosecurity requirements or meeting import health standards about plant products, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- food safety requirements, email email@example.com.
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback