Proposal to establish a halal export assurance framework for the New Zealand dairy industry
Contact: Food Assurance Team
Have your say
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) is proposing the establishment of a regulatory export assurance framework for the export of New Zealand’s dairy material and dairy products:
- that are labelled as halal, or
- would require a halal certificate when exported.
Details of the proposal are in the consultation documents. MPI wants your feedback on the discussion paper and the accompanying draft Notice.
What's being proposed?
The proposed regulatory framework consists of:
- requirements relating to halal processing and management of dairy material and dairy products
- the recognition of persons and halal certification agencies who provide halal certification services to the dairy industry
- the process for issuing halal certificates.
For quick reference, a summary of the proposed requirements is in the table in section 3 of the discussion document.
- Proposed Animal Products Notice: General Export Requirements for Halal Dairy Material and Halal Dairy Products [PDF, 1016 KB]
- Discussion document [PDF, 695 KB]
Making your submission
You may have your say by commenting on any part of the discussion document or any provision of the proposed Notice. The paragraphs in the discussion document and provisions in the proposed Notice are numbered for ease of reference. When making a comment, link it to the reference number so we know what you're referring to.
Email your submissions to email@example.com
While we prefer email, you can post submissions to:
Proposed Halal Export Assurance Framework
MPI Food Assurance Team (Level 1, 3 The Terrace)
PO Box 2526
Information to include in your submission
Include the following information in your submission:
- the title and number of the discussion document
- your name and title, if applicable
- your organisation's name, if applicable
- your address and contact details.
MPI will consider all submissions and publish our response to submissions on this web page.
Submissions are public information
Note, that your submission is public information. Submissions may be the subject of requests for information under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA). The OIA specifies that information is to be made available to requesters unless there are sufficient grounds for withholding it, as set out in the OIA. Submitters may wish to indicate grounds for withholding specific information contained in their submission, such as the information is commercially sensitive or they wish personal information to be withheld. Any decision to withhold information requested under the OIA is reviewable by the Ombudsman.