Proposed Animal Products Notice: Disposal of Non-conforming Dairy Material or Dairy Product
Contact: Dairy products team
Update – 30 January 2017
In June 2016, MPI consulted on proposals to amend the Animal Products Notice: Disposal of Non-conforming Dairy Material or Dairy Products. The consultation closed on 19 July 2016. The Animal Products Notice dated 6 December 2016 revokes and replaces the Animal Products (Disposal of Non-conforming Dairy Material or Dairy Product) Notice 2013 dated 18th February 2013.
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) proposes to amend the Animal Products Notice: Disposal of Non-conforming Dairy Material or Dairy Product.
The Notice specifies the procedures and requirements for the disposal of non-conforming dairy material or dairy product for the purpose of regulation 5 of the Animal Products (Dairy) Regulations 2005.
What's being proposed?
The proposed amendments are intended to provide more clarification of the circumstances and requirements for the disposal of non-conforming dairy material or dairy product to ensure the Notice operates effectively. The review of the Notice also took into account the Government Inquiry into the Whey Protein Concentrate Contamination Incident report recommendation to revise the rules for non-routine rework that requires a product disposal request. MPI must ensure that the requirements are technically justified and provide an appropriate level of accountability for both operator managed product disposal and recognised agency managed product disposal.
MPI invites you to comment on the Animal Products Notice: Disposal of Non-conforming Dairy Material or Dairy Product.
In making submissions, MPI is particularly interested in feedback on:
- The introduction of operator managed disposal of non-conforming liquid dairy material to land or a waste system.
- The reporting requirements for non-conforming dairy material or dairy product.
- The introduction of labelling requirements for further processing of product at another premises.
- Amendment to the schedule delegating the risk management programme operator responsible for communicating the nature of the non-conformance and any applicable conditions to the recipient of the product.
- Amendment to the circumstances detailed in the schedule for recognised agency managed product disposal.
Documents and Links
- Draft Animal Products Notice: Disposal of Non-conforming Dairy Material or Dairy Product for consultation [PDF, 500 KB]
- Cover letter with submissions template [PDF, 128 KB]
Making a submission
MPI prefers to get submissions by email. Send your submission by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you wish to forward submissions in writing, please send them to the following address:
Animal and Animal Products
Ministry for Primary Industries
PO Box 2526
Submissions are public information
Please note that your submission is public information. Submissions may be the subject of requests for information under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA). The OIA specifies that information is to be made available to requesters unless there are sufficient grounds for withholding it, as set out in the OIA. Submitters may wish to indicate grounds for withholding specific information contained in their submission, such as the information is commercially sensitive or they wish personal information to be withheld. Any decision to withhold information requested under the OIA is reviewable by the Ombudsman.
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback