Proposed chapter 3 of the Operational Code Petfood Processing
Contact: Animal products team
Update – 15 February 2018
The 5 Chapters of the Operational Code: Petfood Processing have been combined into one document.
Background to consultation
The Petfood Code of Practice was written to give guidance on the currently agreed way to meet the regulatory requirements of MPI under the Animal Products Act 1999. However, the Code is being rewritten because it's incomplete and out of date with the Animal Products Specifications for Products Intended for Animal Consumption Notice 2014.
The new code is called Operational Code Petfood Processing.
MPI is seeking feedback on chapter 3 of the new Code. The new chapter is titled 'Supply, Slaughter and Dressing of Farmed Animals'. It is intended that this new chapter will replace the existing:
- chapter 3 called 'Supply, Slaughter (On-farm) and Dressing of Young Calves'
- Part 3.1 called 'Slaughter and Killing of Farmed Mammals'.
MPI is also seeking feedback on the 2 related forms:
- Ante-Mortem Examination Declaration
- Farmed Animal Supplier Statement.
Your views sought
MPI invites you to comment on chapter 3 of the Operational Code Petfood Processing. MPI is particularly interested in your feedback on these questions:
- Is the level of detail appropriate for the petfood sector?
- Are the technical aspects correct?
- Are the procedures practical and achievable for the petfood sector?
- Are there any areas that need more guidance?
- Are there any further changes needed to the Farmed Animal Supplier Statement or the ante-mortem examination form?
- Draft – Chapter 3 Supply, Slaughter and Dressing of Farmed Animals [PDF, 729 KB]
- Draft – Ante-Mortem Examination Declaration - Petfood [PDF, 144 KB]
- Draft – Farmed Animal Supplier Statement - Petfood [PDF, 367 KB]
- Petfood Code of Practice (current version)
- Animal Products Specifications for Products Intended for Animal Consumption Notice 2014 [PDF, 463 KB]
Making your submission
Email your feedback on the consultation document by 5pm on 18 November 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage you to use the submissions template:
- Submissions template [DOCX, 193 KB]
While we prefer email, you can post your submission to:
Ministry for Primary Industries
PO Box 2526
Submissions are public information
Note that your submission is public information. Submissions may be the subject of requests for information under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA). The OIA specifies that information is to be made available to requesters unless there are sufficient grounds for withholding it, as set out in the OIA.
Submitters may wish to indicate grounds for withholding specific information contained in their submission, such as information being commercially sensitive or they wish personal information to be withheld. MPI will take such indications into account when determining whether or not to release the information. Any decision to withhold information requested under the OIA is reviewable by the Ombudsman.
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback