Using agricultural chemicals
Find out about requirements for using agricultural chemicals. Topics include research, testing, and teaching organisations (RTTOs), using agricultural chemicals on your own plants, and how to deal with adverse events.
When you are using agricultural chemicals, we recommend that you
- follow label instructions carefully, and
- store or dispose of excess product safely.
Human health and environmental concerns are handled by the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA).
Research, testing, and teaching organisations (RTTOs)
If you are an organisation that regularly carries out research, testing, or teaching, you can ask for MPI approval of your operating plan. Otherwise, you must get individual authorisations for each ACVM product that you use.
If you are using agricultural chemicals, you may require an operating plan to be approved under section 28 of the ACVM Act, so that product registration conditions are met.
Your organisation may need an approved operating plan for agricultural compounds if you are using them under the regulatory exemption for research, testing, or teaching.
- Find out more in this ACVM guideline [PDF, 132 KB]
If you do need an approved operating plan, use this template:
- RTT operating plan template [DOC, 440 KB]
Own use of agricultural chemicals
The ACVM Regulations have an exemption that allows you to treat your own plants using generic chemicals – that is, products that are not marketed as agricultural chemicals. While doing so, you must not cause residues to accumulate in produce you sell for human consumption.
The own-use exemption does not apply if you are doing research to generate data for product registration. In this case, you need a provisional registration or a research approval. To find out more, check:
- Provisional registration of an agricultural chemical
- Authorisation of an agricultural chemical in special circumstances
If something goes wrong
If something goes wrong or you have an unexpected outcome (including a lack of efficacy) after using a registered agricultural chemical, let us know.
- Adverse event report: agricultural chemicals [DOC, 411 KB]
- Adverse event reporting programme for agricultural chemicals: ACVM guideline [DOC, 349 KB]