National Biocontainment Laboratory
MPI is replacing New Zealand's only approved laboratory for containing and diagnosing serious veterinary diseases. Building of the new National Biocontainment Laboratory began in October 2015. Find out about the rebuild of the lab and keep up to date with progress.
Explore our lab
Check out its world-class features.
Learn more about the work our scientists do.
What is the lab?
The National Biocontainment Laboratory is based at the National Centre for Biosecurity and Infectious Disease at Wallaceville, Upper Hutt. The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) and Environmental Science and Research (ESR) use the lab to:
- protect public health
- diagnose and help control the spread of animal diseases
- give international trade assurances about New Zealand's animal disease status.
We're building a new facility to replace the existing high-containment lab at Wallaceville.
The lab helps protect New Zealand
New Zealand needs a high-level biocontainment laboratory so we can be prepared. Every day, we're testing samples from suspected cases of diseases, many of which could seriously affect New Zealand's primary sector and environment.
We need a new lab so we can continue to do these tests safely and quickly, to confirm whether a disease is present or not. This helps us control the spread of the disease, and protect agriculture and human health.
The lab is also important for our international trade. MPI's active surveillance and routine investigation testing lets our trading partners know that New Zealand is free from serious diseases.
Find out more
- Download April 2018 lab newsletter [PDF, 948 KB]
- Download December 2017 lab newsletter [PDF, 469 KB]
- Download April 2017 lab newsletter [PDF, 1.6 MB]
- Download October 2016 lab newsletter [PDF, 835 KB]
- Download May 2016 lab newsletter [PDF, 1.5 MB]
- Download November 2015 lab newsletter [PDF, 808 KB]
- Subscribe to get newsletters by email
Who to contact
If you have questions about the National Biocontainment Laboratory:
- call 0800 00 83 33
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback