Conferences and events
Details of conferences and events run by the Ministry for Primary Industries.
Food Act workshops for businesses
The Ministry for Primary Industries and local councils have been running joint workshops throughout New Zealand to help businesses work with the Food Act.
The forum was held in Auckland in November 2016. The theme was 'protecting to grow New Zealand'.
About the conference
This unique one-day conference looked 10 to 20 years into the future to consider how New Zealand's primary industries can prepare for the challenges and opportunities it will bring.
- Who might our customers be in 10 to 20 years' time?
- What products might they want?
- What emerging trends do we already know about?
- How might future drivers change the way we grow and process our food, beverage, fibre and forestry products?
- How might pharmaceuticals and nutraceuticals create new products and markets for our primary industries?
- What research and development will we soon need to be able to meet our future needs?
- Where do we need to invest now to improve our capability and resilience?
- Is NZ's innovation system able to respond to long-term opportunities and challenges?
Primary Growth Partnership (PGP) Expo
An expo, showcasing our Primary Growth Partnership (PGP) programmes, was held after the conference.
The PGP is MPI's flagship investment programme that co-invests with industry in ambitious innovation to increase the market success of the primary sector. There are currently 19 PGP programmes, representing a current committed investment of over time of more than $720 million and involving more than 50 companies.
Download a copy of the conference programme [PDF, 141 KB]
The conference included an inspiring range of speakers from New Zealand and overseas.
Read profiles of the speakers [PDF, 1.1 MB]
The following speaker presentations are available to download:
Session 1 – A focus on food
Natasha Telles D’Costa
- Associate Director, Visionary Science Practice: Chemicals, Materials and Food, APAC, Frost & Sullivan
- Presentation topic: The business of health: A focus on food [PDF, 11 MB]
Bill Kaye-Blake Director
- Finance and Economics, PwC
- Presentation topic: Exports of functional foods [PDF, 693 KB]
- Chief Scientist, High-Value Nutrition, National Science Challenge
- Presentation topic: Translational science for food and health [PDF, 3.3 MB]
- Vice-Chancellor, Massey University
- Presentation topic: A food nation: The New Zealand food story and how to make it real [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- Head of NZ Direct Investments, NZ Super Fund
- Presentation topic: An institutional investor's perspective on New Zealand agriculture [PDF, 1.1 MB]
Session 2 – A global perspective
- Series Editor, Deloitte’s research campaign on the Internet of Things (IoT)
- Presentation topic: Information per serving [PDF, 1.4 MB]
- Global Head of Agribusiness, KPMG
- Presentation topic: Global perspectives [PDF, 14 MB]
- Director Sector Policy, Ministry for Primary Industries
- Presentation topic: The future of food [PDF, 2.9 MB]
- Director Investment Programmes, Ministry for Primary Industries
- Presentation topic: Shaping New Zealand's food and fibre future: A summary of industry workshops [PDF, 3.7 MB]
- Chief Executive, Federated Farmers
- Presentation topic: Shaping New Zealand food and fibre future [PDF, 828 KB]
- Chief Executive, DairyNZ
- Presentation topic: Transforming the Dairy Value Chain PGP [PDF, 4.4 MB]
Find out more
Download the conference brochure [PDF, 2.1 MB]
Who to contact
If you have any questions about the conference, contact one of the conference managers: Arna Wahl Davies or Nerida Ramsay:
- Phone: +64 3 332 4537
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fieldays is the biggest agricultural event in the Southern Hemisphere. This 4-day event showcases agricultural innovations, products and services to a global audience.
MPI’s exhibits in 2016 featured a large illustrated mural with the MPI grow 'story'. This showed MPI’s involvement with communities and industry at all levels from production to export – and how we help grow primary industries.
The Primary Growth Partnership (PGP) had a space beside MPI, which showcased innovation programmes it's helping fund.
In addition to our exhibits, MPI held several special events.
Champions initiative launch
A series of videos developed by MPI were showcased, featuring current and emerging leaders (champions) from across the primary industries.
The 40 champions (both well-known and everyday New Zealanders) who featured in the first Growing our future series, were invited to the launch along with primary industries leaders.
Insights on innovation forum
Industry leaders shared their insights and experiences with the audience in a question and answer session. Speakers included Lewis Road Creamery co-founder Peter Cullinane, and founding director of Craggy Range, Steven Smith.
The 2016 Situational Outlook for the Primary Industries (SOPI) was also launched at this event.
Rural mental wellness event
The Prime Minister John Key, Health Minister Jonathan Coleman and Primary Industries Minister Nathan Guy hosted this event, announcing additional funding of $600,000 for the Rural Mental Wellness Initiative in 2016/17.
The Food Protection Forum was a one day conference held in October 2015 for leaders in the food industry to learn about the importance of a food safety culture and food defence in protecting New Zealand's economy, reputation and consumers globally.
Thank you from Martyn Dunne
Director-General – Ministry for Primary Industries
"The Ministry for Primary Industries was proud to host the Food Protection Forum 2015 in partnership with AsureQuality. The day was designed to give insight and inspiration. Food protection will be a vital part of the ongoing success of our food companies”.
The forum included presentations from international and New Zealand speakers about food defence, and our food safety culture. The presentations are available to download:
Food Safety Culture – Session 2
- Author of Food Safety Culture and Vice President Food Safety, Wal-mart.
- Presentation topic: Developing a corporate food safety culture (Industry perspective) [PDF, 10 MB]
Professor Alan Reilly
- Adjunct Professor, Institute of Food and Health, University College, Dublin; former Chief Exective, Food Safety Authority, Ireland.
- Presentation topic: Food crisis management - implications for regulators: Lessons learnt from the EU-wide horsemeat scandal [PDF, 7.6 MB]
Food Defence – Session 3
Dr John W Larkin
- Research Director, Food Protection and Defence Institute (A United States Homeland Security Centre of Excellence).
- Presentation topic: Assessing the bioweapons threat [PDF, 10 MB]
Dr John Spink
- Director and Assistant Professor, Food Fraud Initiative, Michigan State University.
- Presentation topic: Food fraud [PDF, 6.5 MB]
Partnering to enhance our Food Safety Culture – Session 4
- Senior Executive Vice President, Operations and Industry Collaboration – Grocery Manufacturers Association.
- Presentation topic: Findings from Consumer Information Transparency Initiative [PDF, 4.6 MB]
- Dairy Capability Working Group.
- Presentation topic: Driving food safety capability out of culture (Industry perspective) [PPT, 2.4 MB]
Captain David Morgan
- Chief Flight Operations and Safety Officer / Chief Pilot – Air New Zealand.
- Safety management [PDF, 2.8 MB]
Keynote presentations and panel discussions on YouTube
- Martyn Dunne - welcome
- Hon Jo Goodhew - opening keynote speaker
- Panel discussion session 2 - Food Safety Culture
- Panel discussion session 3 - Food Defence
- Scott Gallacher - Government's approach
- Panel discussion session 4 - Partnering to enhance our Food Safety Culture
- Food Protection Forum 2015 programme
Find out more
Download the forum programme [PDF, 2.8 MB]
Who to contact
If you have questions about the forum, email email@example.com.
MPI often sponsors conferences and events organised by other groups and agencies.